Monday, November 8, 2010

on the postal service

Remember when I used to complain about data entry?

Yeah, I do too...Now, don’t go getting all crazy on me.  Don’t think I miss it or I am dying to do it or wish I had MORE of it to do--because I DO still have some data entry...but there are some pieces of receiving all of those pieces of mail every day--things I do TRULY miss.

I think the thing I miss the most is the reality that every day I had tens of pieces of mail arrive with my name on it.  It really did not matter if it was applications for regional events or payment for NFTY dues for teens from Delaware or Norfolk or Raleigh.  It meant that every day I was getting mail, that wasn’t bills, that did not require deduction from my bank account, that noted I would be able see incredible teens.

Above all though, the best part of the mail was looking at the way hundreds of different people addressed their envelopes and the stamps they chose to use.

funny misspellings
Now, my name has been misspelled as long as I have known how to spell my name, well...longer.  When I meet another Lindse/ay I ask first if she is an “ay” or an “ey” and that is always followed by the smile and the nod of understanding that Lindsey, Lindsay, Lyndsey, Lyndsay, Linzee, Lindse, Lindsie, etc etc etc...is one of the most commonly misspelled names, OF. ALL. TIMES.

What is better than my name being misspelled on every third envelope addressed to me, the spelling was on the paperwork being mailed!

NEXT...my office was on Massachusetts Avenue in DC.  Confession-I learned how to spell Massachusetts in 7th grade for the states and capitals test...then I promptly forgot how to spell it because when I was hired in 2005 and I had to mail something to my new boss before I started working, I had to look up the spelling.  Now--on these hundreds of pieces of mail I received It became evident that I was not the only college graduate that did not know how to spell Massachusetts.  What’s better, the number of adult who seemingly admit defeat by addressing the envelope simply with Mass Ave.  I would say 50% took the shortcut...and I would put money on it...it people were to HONESTLY answer...at least 25% of those people would not know how to spell Massachusetts...and 75% were too busy to bother they made sure it was spelled correctly.

Perhaps this is editorializing--but I am pretty sure I am right on when I say spelling is NOT (the collective, royal) “our” forte...

postmarks
They are really cool.  I don’t know why I am fascinated with where people mail things from, how long it takes to get from point A to point B and the like, but I think postmarks are really cool.  I loved receiving letters that had an atypical postmark.  Sometimes it was causal, and a reminder to us all to think about this awareness month or that...I like seeing who mails things from work and who mails things from home, how long things take in town vs. out of state.  I guess I am a nerd...I know. 

It also made me smile when stamps had to be hand-stamped...I also loved when the mail carrier would notice stamps that snuck through and they would mark them off with a sharpie...the best though, the rare chance when all of the above would be missed and then I would get free stamps off the envelopes...you gotta be frugal when living in DC sometimes...

I also think it is humorous to see who blatantly disregards deadlines.  When a piece of paperwork has to be postmarked by a certain date and it is clearly marked a week after that...like...do you really think when I, the person in charge of registration sets a deadline...I am not going to check and see if the deadline is met?!?

awesome stamps

Clearly though, the best part EVER about getting so much mail was looking at all of the stamps that came in to our office.  Now, let me remind you...I worked for a Jewish organization and the events I hosted were for Jewish teenagers...yet, as soon as November came around, you better believe it, the Christmas stamps came rolling in...FUN!

It was fun to watch as new stamps came in...
Star Wars
Breast Cancer Awareness
Flowers
Americana
Birds
Disney
Vintage
It was even more fun to see when new stamps would come out, which ones would last longer and which would never hit the mail. 

At some point I thought it would be cool to start collecting some of these stamps.  I didn’t cut them all out, but when something across my desk that I had not seen or that were different I would clip them and slip them into an envelope under my keyboard.  

I had totally forgotten about them until my car flooded last week...(okay, I left the sunroof open and it rained...) I had slipped that envelope into a compartment in my car and forgotten it was there.  When I pulled everything out to see what got soaked, I decided to lay out the stamps so they would dry nicely...and now I am just trying to figure out what to do with all of these cool stamps.

If you have any cool craft ideas...let me know!

Whether or not the mail is actually for me, there was enjoyment in receiving it.  I certainly miss the pseudo-love felt upon opening 15+ letters every single day!

for now though, maybe I will write a real letter so I can get one in return...

LM

No comments:

Post a Comment