Wednesday, August 16, 2017

on parenting and positivity

2016 was a monumental year for me.

In January, after first sharing our news with family and close friends over the holiday celebrations, Chris and I announced that in July our family was growing.  While we thought we were going to bring a puppy into the family—a human expansion was in order.  In July, Lawton joined the party. 

Parenthood has been a rock pushed off the top of a very steep hill.  The days and tasks are often overwhelming and taxing, but the months have flown by.  We have a beautiful and curious, inquisitive and kind Little Bug filling our lives with more joy than I ever thought possible. Cliché, right?

This first year of his life has been a monumental year for me.

When we first announced he was on the way, amid facebook likes and comments, Instagram hearts and text messages, I actually had more than one person private message me things like “I can’t believe you would bring a child into the chaos of our current world,” and “It’s a tough time to raise a child.”  People I don’t speak to often, people whose echo in my chamber I often find to be too loud, too harsh and quite a bit one-sided, but nonetheless they stung at the time and these comments have stuck with me.

There have been so many times this past year I should have stopped and marked our lives with reflection.  It’s all a bit cloudy now.  I’m not really sure when Lawton started rolling over or when he first scooted his way around the living room. (Mainly his life is marked in what he has done at NFTY regional and North American events…he cut his first two teeth at Winter and by NFTY Convention in February he was rolling and army crawling EVERYWHERE; Camp Jenny marked cross-dining hall walking with a walker and by Kutz in June he was getting around on his own two feet…)

As I sat safely in our home this weekend watching our world unfold he was all I could think about.  I thought about these comments I received when we first announced he was on the way and the more I have thought about them, the more I find the anger bubbling inside me.  Not because of the media or the memes, the press conferences or public figures.  I AM SO ANGRY THAT EVERYONE THINKS EVERYONE ELSE HAS TO DO MORE, EVERYONE ELSE HAS TO BE BETTER, EVERYONE ELSE HAS DONE MORE WRONG…

Why do we continue to live in a world where personal accountability and doing what is right has been cast aside and making the largest sign, yelling the loudest and commenting from behind a screen how wrong someone else is…is the way to FEEL most right...

You see, I have noticed it every day since Lawton was born, in parenting forums, message boards and “helpful” sites about child rearing.  The general sentiment is “this is how I do it, and that’s the best way.”  It is often shrouded in “I read in a book” or “our pediatrician said.”  Often I truly believe it is not intended to be hurtful, harmful or judgmental.  I am sure I have unintentionally made others feel like I am saying my way is the “best” and I have not meant that. 


Yet, I sit here reflecting on our unfolding world and I hear people saying “I can’t believe you would bring a child into the chaos of our current world,” and I think about how unbelievably important it is to have a child, to raise this child, to be a presence in their life and introduce people, places and things to him that will fortify his character, teach him to love and learn, respect and stand up for what he believes.

LMD

No comments:

Post a Comment