Tuesday, February 1, 2011

on being offered money to go back to college...COOL!

So, it has been months since I have posted...I know, I know...I slacked big time in December and January...to be honest...I tried to write a lot...I have a handful of half-posts written...maybe I will finish them...but, to be honest...I have a hard time writing when I can not be fully honest about what I am thinking and feeling...and December and January...I had to censor a lot of my thoughts in writing I would have posted on the interwebs...so...to make up for that...here is a second post today...it is not original for the web...it is the essay I submitted that ultimately led to the honor of receiving a scholarship to study in the Nonprofit Management Certificate Program at The University of Tampa...I think it is pretty clear what my passions are...

enjoy!

Through this scholarship program, the University of Tampa and the Nonprofit Leadership Center of Tampa Bay aims to identify and engage entering students who have demonstrated an exceptional potential to serve as thoughtful, innovative leaders in the social sector. Please compose an essay that addresses the following question: How will you build on your experience in the social sector to enrich the Tampa Bay community? (500-700 words)

I have been incredibly fortunate to experience the social sector from multiple vantage points.  I have worked, in some capacity, for nonprofit organizations for the better part of the last ten years.  As I have advanced in my career, working for local branches, regions and on a North American level for the same nonprofit organization, I have gained skills and tools that will certainly aid me in enriching the Tampa Bay community.  I have been most fortunate to gain first-hand understanding of the world teens today have been born into and what hurdles present themselves as they work to reach their dreams.

One thing that has continually challenged me is addressing some of the needs of the population with which I work.  I know that I have a remarkable opportunity to work with teenagers in a mentor role. Yet, I am determined to apply the skills I have and the knowledge I hope to acquire through this program to create sustainable programming that answers a deficiency I have noticed in the teen population: There is a gap for teens that are just getting by.  The teens in the middle, not the stars and not the struggling, often do not get the assistance they need and the encouragement they deserve to be the best version of themselves.  I want to take the knowledge I posses and the skills this program can provide me and offer additional opportunities for these teens in the Tampa Bay community that will encourage them to reach higher and recognize the talents they possess.

Each and every person has something they are good at.  During the teen years it is imperative that these talents are noticed by someone.  It is often not a parent but another trusted adult in the life of a teen that encourages and cultivates a talent or passion.  The teen years are years of rapid growth and change; teen empowerment is set in direct contradiction to restrictions placed upon them by parents, schools and our culture.  One of the greatest struggles teens face is figuring out how to navigate a new world, being mindful of the restrictions that accompany increasing freedom.  My years of experience paired with this education and opportunity to offer new and dynamic programs could answer an unfulfilled need in the community.  Currently we offer programs for “troubled teens” and for “shining stars,” but often the average teens that fall in the middle, especially academically, get lost in the cracks. A place or program where teens are paired with adults that are invested in them and dedicated to helping them succeed, is something I dream of creating.

As a Youth Director, I have come to know the power and influence we can have on teens, who in turn give back in a way that is remarkable.  In answering this question I return over and over to one teen in particular whom I have had the privilege to mentor for the past five years.  Upon graduating from high school this teen academically-average set his sights on a degree in Psychology while suppressing a true desire to study music.  He packed his bags for University and through regular check-ins it became apparent that he was unhappy studying what others thought he should, not following his true desire--though it may ultimately prove more difficult.  Now three years into his undergraduate studies in music, in a top-ranked music program he has been cast in graduate-level operas, sings in a prestigious a capella group and has set his sights on singing on large stages worldwide.  I know I will smile in the near future and proudly declare “I knew him when...”

It is my ultimate goal to cultivate relationships and provide a forum for interaction between more teens and mentors.  If I were given the opportunity to share my passion and supplement my knowledge through this program, I would make every effort to develop connections between Tampa Bay community leaders and teens who could benefit from additional mentoring, attention, time and skill development.  My years of experience in the social sector working with teens makes me realize not only how much I have learned, but that it is my responsibility to do all I can to better equip the teens in our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment